I was completely burned out!

October 22, 2017

Disclaimer: With regards to the topic “Healthy Mind”, I am sharing a personal experience which for me is a real eye-opener. The actions I did in that situation may not be applicable to you because different things happen to people.


“I was completely burned out!” That is the answer I give when people ask me why I quit my first job. Yes, I know it was only the first and I have a lot to learn as a fresh graduate. That is why before I made a decision I considered all the factors and thought of my family, thus pushing me to stay for two more months.

Honestly, it wasn’t easy to leave because I love my job even the deadlines. Though I occasionally experience writer’s block as well as working overtime, I didn’t mind because I know for a fact that work itself is difficult. I just took the advise of Sabrina the Teenage Witch’s aunts and reminded myself that if there are obstacles in your path, go around them.

I did just that. Unfortunately, it was not enough.

I can handle stress because I am able to identify the factors that contribute to it. But sometimes the reason is not always about the job. It’s the people you are working with and/or for.

So when did I feel I was on the way to Burnout City?


I flew to Hong Kong on November 2009 for three days to cover an event. It was a fun learning experience. But while I was walking around Wan Chai I felt a sensation I’ve never felt for a long time.

Happiness. I was happy to see the beauty of every living and non-living things. I’m not kidding.

In fact when I'm in my hotel room, I kept staring out the window appreciating the view. I was so at ease that I noticed every detail – the beautiful blue sky, the glossy skyscrapers, the traditional Chinese wooden junk boat which I’m quite surprised because it’s too far and I have poor eyesight. It wasn’t my first time in Hong Kong but loved every second.

Then it dawned on me that I was that person. When I wake up in the morning, I would appreciate the morning sun that manages to find its way to my room even the noise made by our neighbors. Those things simply say, it’s a BRAND NEW DAY!

But I wasn’t looking forward to that anymore.


In fact, I start my day with hatred. Augh, I need to wake up at 4am to avoid traffic and the crowd. I hope there’s no line at the terminal and at the station. Shit! I ran out of medical mask. I so hate the smell of perfume especially the dirty air. Why are there so many people and vehicles in the city? It’s so dusty and noisy.

With this state of mind, it’s clear as day that I am exhausted. I even started questioning why I need to work.

I’m not going to share the details on what exactly happened. But there are indeed people who doesn’t know the meaning of team work. There are also people who doesn’t know how to deal with their personal issues so they bring it to work and lash at you. Lastly, there will always be people who will try to or constantly bring you down.

Good thing, I have friends.


Despite what happened, I am lucky to have colleagues who I also call friends. That experience brought us together. We were each other’s rock. Even former employees who learned about what happened, gave us strength. I wish they warned us before entering that jungle but that’s okay.

I was able to learn many valuable lessons from that unfortunate experience. Plus, I was able to get out of that toxic environment before the new year started. Yes, I embraced a new chapter filled with hope.

Now, I’m not telling you to quit every time you encounter a toxic work environment. Again, different things happen to people. If you have the strength and able to clean that work space, I worship you.
But if you can’t handle it and it’s hopeless, take a rest.

The overseas assignment was a blessing in disguise because I wasn’t aware I was on my way to Burnout City. I’m glad it stopped me along the way. Maybe do that instead. Take a rest and connect with yourself. Once everything is clear, know and balance the pros and cons. Make sure to share it with your family and/or friends.

When all is good and you feel it’s time, then make that decision.

When I made mine, my heavy heart became light. That’s when I knew I made a good one.

Main Image courtesy of teetasse at pixabay.com
P.S Sorry for the poor quality images. These were way back in 2009.

No comments:

Copyright © 2017 Asthmatic Hypo Girl. Powered by Blogger.